    SubjectRe: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device a lloc ation) )
       Date:   Sun, 10 Oct 1999 07:47:10 -0400 (EDT)
    From: Stephen Frost <sfrost@ns.snowman.net>

    Err, no, /proc/devices isn't a filesystem, it's a FILE. The idea
    being it's a list of major,minor's that are in the system, or perhaps
    something like:

    +8,0
    +8,1
    +8,2
    +8,4
    -8,1
    +8,3

    Where a proggie can then read the file and determine what is
    currently in the system, and by watching the file can see what devices are
    added/removed. NOTE: This is just a random thought on the layout, it prolly
    has lots of problems so don't think I'm suggesting it as a permanent
    solution.

    We'd want to put more information in /proc/devices than just the file.
    Having the name of the device is also useful, since in some cases the
    device driver may not have a permanently assigned major number, and so
    it gets a dynamically assigned one. There may be other information
    which may be helpful to the driver as well. I would suggest a format
    like this:

    driver=scsidisk major=8 minor=9 scsiid=0 lun=0 ...

    Other devices drivers may feed other information to the user-space
    daemon, such as USB topology information. So it's best if the format is
    kept extensible.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:3.169 / U:1.096 seconds]