    SubjectRe: Can and should the kernel HZ value be changed?

    > > The current HZ value of 100 is definitely archaic, best suitable for a
    > > 386SX at 16MHz. The performance potential of increasing HZ with respect to
    > > realtime and interactivite responsiveness is so huge, it simply cannot be
    > > overlooked.
    > could you elaborate why it makes a difference? what part of the kernel do
    > you think causes the speedup?

    Linux has some problems with scheduling:

    If you access disks or do other similar tasks (login), and there's
    background process running, you get scheduled at next timer tick - ie.
    10ms later. This way, I was able to "feel" background while(1);
    processes on my 486/16. I'm currently running some tests (find / in
    fact), to see if this canbe measured in addition to 'felt'.

    I'm really Pavel
    Look at ;-).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.020 / U:13.528 seconds]