SubjectRe: Can and should the kernel HZ value be changed?
Hi!

> > The current HZ value of 100 is definitely archaic, best suitable for a
> > 386SX at 16MHz. The performance potential of increasing HZ with respect to
> > realtime and interactivite responsiveness is so huge, it simply cannot be
> > overlooked.
>
> could you elaborate why it makes a difference? what part of the kernel do
> you think causes the speedup?

Linux has some problems with scheduling:

If you access disks or do other similar tasks (login), and there's
background process running, you get scheduled at next timer tick - ie.
10ms later. This way, I was able to "feel" background while(1);
processes on my 486/16. I'm currently running some tests (find / in
fact), to see if this canbe measured in addition to 'felt'.
Pavel

--
I'm really pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz. Pavel
Look at http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/ ;-).