SubjectRe: 2.2.0-pre4 errors

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > first IDE drive. As hardware hasn't changed it must be a problem with the
> > IDE driver. Second problem is a minor one. Just a wrong detection on the
>
> No its intentional. The kernel has a list of drives that _sometimes_ cause
> problems so that it defaults to a safe value. You can use hdparm (man hdparm)
Well, but even if it's an internal list, it must have been changed, since
in 2.2.0-pre1 this message didn't appear. At this point it appears to make
sense to check if this drive is really problematic. I would like to know
some reports from the other people on this list, that use such a drive
(WDAC 33100H) if they got problems with DMA on this drive. So this could
be examined and eventually the drive considered to be normal and removed
from this internal list.
Greetx!
Thomas