SubjectRe: Time??
Hi Joseph.

> echo "<$TZ>" yielded <>, and the latter still didn't fix it =( this
> is also on a redhat box as well as the Debian one.. something is
> broken some where.

OK, the other reasonably obvious possibility is to turn that on its
head - is TZ set for the sendmail daemon that's started automagically
in your boot scripts ???

To check this on the RedHat system, look in /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail
for any lines of the form "export TZ=??T" and, if they're found, kill
them. When you've done that, find the line that begins "start)" and
insert immediately after it the following line:

echo "*** Sendmail Timezone = <$TZ>" >&2

When you've done that and saved the file, reboot and watch the boot-up
messages to see what appears - it will NOT appear in dmesg as far as
I'm aware...

>>> Thanks.. I have no clue why it does this.. date yeilds CST
>>> fingering a local user yeilds CST, every where but mail.. it just
>>> mislables -0600 as EST.. I have no idea why.. I run tzconfig and it
>>> still does nothing to change it. I will keep researching.. if you
>>> find an answer please let me know..

>> Can you check the output from the following command?

>> Q> echo "<$TZ>"

>> If that shows other than <> as output, you have a local environment
>> variable that's set to say that you're in the CST timezone, in which
>> case you will only see CST times irrespective of what's going on
>> elsewhere.

>> If so, type the following command, then redo your checks...

>> Q> unset TZ

>> If that fixes it, you'll need to find out which configuration file
>> sets it and get rid of it...

Best wishes from Riley.

---
* ftp://ps.cus.umist.ac.uk/pub/rhw/Linux
* http://ps.cus.umist.ac.uk/~rhw/kernel.versions.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.093 / U:0.084 seconds]