SubjectNFS client problem: trusted vs. untrusted root
In 2.2.0-pre4-ac4 (and probably others as well), I'm having a problem
with NFS permissions, especially root permissions when the client
machine does not have root privileges on the NFS server. (The server is
a NetworkAppliance box, although I doubt that is important.)

Consider the directory foo owned by root with mode 700.

As a normal user:

user% ls -l foo
ls: foo: Permission denied

As root, but root isn't trusted by server:

untrusted# ls -l foo
total 0

As root, but root is trusted by server:

trusted# ls -l foo
total 456

I find it extremely undesirable that the untrusted root sees an empty
directory instead of getting the permission denied message.

--Lee Hetherington