    SubjectNFS client problem: trusted vs. untrusted root
    In 2.2.0-pre4-ac4 (and probably others as well), I'm having a problem
    with NFS permissions, especially root permissions when the client
    machine does not have root privileges on the NFS server. (The server is
    a NetworkAppliance box, although I doubt that is important.)

    Consider the directory foo owned by root with mode 700.

    As a normal user:

    user% ls -l foo
    ls: foo: Permission denied

    As root, but root isn't trusted by server:

    untrusted# ls -l foo
    total 0

    As root, but root is trusted by server:

    trusted# ls -l foo
    total 456

    I find it extremely undesirable that the untrusted root sees an empty
    directory instead of getting the permission denied message.

    --Lee Hetherington

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.018 / U:41.232 seconds]