SubjectRe: us.kernel.org mirroring inconsistency
Hi Michael.

> I DO like the suggestion made by someone to eliminate most of the
> older kernel tarballs (both bz2 and gz) on the mirrors to conserve
> space. The patches are sufficient to reconstruct past kernels
> where necessary. I was in the middle of helping diagnose the "flu"
> problem a couple of months ago, so I know the need to get at past
> kernels, first hand.

I'd like to see this done as well...

> We could also provide some access to the older files in the attic
> on one central server where the lower demand for those older
> tarballs would not load it down so much. Something like
> ftp.attic.kernel.org for any tarballs older than three revs back in
> a given revision line (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, etc).

If it helps, I've downloaded all of the kernel tarballs I'm aware of
to date, from 0.01 through to 2.2.0-pre5 inclusive, and I'm planning
to create some archive CD's for them. It looks like a 3 CD set will
get all of them on, with everything up to and including 2.0.19 on a
single CD.

Assuming I go ahead with this (which isn't certain), I'd be willing to
donate a set to ftp-old.kernel.org (my suggestion for the site name).

> Don't keep the recent ones on that site specifically to avoid the
> temptation some would have to go to it for recent kernels. That
> would preserve the historical trail (which is being painstakingly
> reconstructed for some of the REALLY old 0.* line) without causing
> excessive storage demands on the mirror sites (or bandwidth demands
> when a new mirror comes on line - think about it!) and provides all
> of the benefits of having up to date mirrors in the formats we use.

For reference, the book "Linux Device Drivers" refers to kernels 0.02
and 0.03 which I haven't yet located, and there's indications that
0.13 also existed, but I can't find it.

In addition, 0.95 through 0.98 is definately missing some members, and
I suspect that 0.99.13a-z also existed, but can't find them...

Best wishes from Riley.

---
* ftp://ps.cus.umist.ac.uk/pub/rhw/Linux
* http://ps.cus.umist.ac.uk/~rhw/kernel.versions.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.728 / U:0.916 seconds]