SubjectRe: [linux-audio-dev] ISA Plug & Play support in kernel
Date
  Jamie Lokier <lkd@tantalophile.demon.co.uk> writes:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 09:19:21AM +0000, David Howells wrote:
>
> > * Doing the configuration management inside the kernel means that
> > drivers can have their resource values changed on the fly without having
> > to be reloaded... This isn't as bad as it sounds, it just takes a little
> > bit of discipline on the part of the kernel and the driver.
>
> I'm not convinced this is a good idea. [...]
>
> We get by perfectly well without on-the-fly reassignments now; I don't
> see a pressing need for it.

Keep in mind that as soon as we want to do hot-plugging for PCI(*), we need
to do on-the-fly reassignment. And in that case we might as well go all the
way and have one uniform interface for such stuff in the kernel.

*: ... from what I gleaned from a discussion of this on linux-kernel a few
months or so ago, i.e. I might be wrong.
--
Matthias Urlichs | noris network GmbH | smurf@noris.de | ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really. | http://www.noris.de/~smurf/