    SubjectRe: [linux-audio-dev] ISA Plug & Play support in kernel
      Jamie Lokier <> writes:
    > On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 09:19:21AM +0000, David Howells wrote:
    > > * Doing the configuration management inside the kernel means that
    > > drivers can have their resource values changed on the fly without having
    > > to be reloaded... This isn't as bad as it sounds, it just takes a little
    > > bit of discipline on the part of the kernel and the driver.
    > I'm not convinced this is a good idea. [...]
    > We get by perfectly well without on-the-fly reassignments now; I don't
    > see a pressing need for it.
    Keep in mind that as soon as we want to do hot-plugging for PCI(*), we need
    to do on-the-fly reassignment. And in that case we might as well go all the
    way and have one uniform interface for such stuff in the kernel.

    *: ... from what I gleaned from a discussion of this on linux-kernel a few
    months or so ago, i.e. I might be wrong.
    Matthias Urlichs | noris network GmbH | | ICQ: 20193661
    The quote was selected randomly. Really. |
    Opening night: the night before the play is ready to open.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.027 / U:3.000 seconds]