    SubjectRe: [patch] arca-vm-6, killed kswapd [Re: [patch] new-vm improvement , [Re: 2.2.0 Bug summary]]
    On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > >
    > > I have a new revolutionary patch. The main thing is that I killed kswapd
    > > just to make Rik happy ;).
    > You may have made Rik happy,

    Not even that -- I really like the concept of a separate
    thread doing the much needed page freeing...

    > but you totally missed the reason for kswapd. And while your
    > patch looked interesting (a lot cleaner than the previous ones,
    > and I _like_ patches that remove code), the fact that you killed
    > kswapd means that it is essentially useless.

    Yup -- a definite No-No.
    (just to make sure that nobody would have really gotten
    the impression that I would be happy with the removal
    of kswapd)

    Rik -- If a Microsoft product fails, who do you sue?
    | Linux memory management tour guide. |
    | Scouting Vries cubscout leader. |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.033 / U:10.468 seconds]