    SubjectRe: 2.2.0-pre4 is slow and pre4-ac1 is broken =(
    On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Kalle Andersson wrote:

    # > > It seems that the memory management in pre4 is pretty slow, I can hardly
    # > > do anything in X if I'm burning a cd at the same time. (I can't recall
    # > > having that problem with pre3, although I didn't have much time testing
    # > > it...). According to my little wmaker app that checks memory and swap
    # I'm afraid the same goes for pre4-ac1... cdparanoia and cdrecord makes it
    # swap much more then previous kernels did, 131-ac series have been the best
    # for me, ie the sct stuff..

    I'd just like to chime in that I recently did my own CD burning torture
    tests under 2.2.0pre3 and everything worked out great.

    scsi0 : BusLogic BT-946C
    scsi : 1 host.
    Vendor: TEAC Model: CD-R50S-000 Rev: 1.0E
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    (4x burn)

    CPU: 2x PII 233 (196MB ram, IDE hard drives, Supermicro P6DBE mobo).

    I burned a CD from an image with cdrecord, while compiling the kernel ala
    "make -j3", while doing a "find / -xdev", while watching with a "vmstat 1"
    while reading mail.

    Never did the FIFO get below 97%. My mail console got sluggish every now
    and then, but it didn't affect the cdrecord.

    This is the first kernel since, oh, 2.1.~30 that I was able to do a
    find/make/cdrecord at one time.

    [off topic]

    Now, I would like to just say something here: where I first started my
    position at work, we were basically a SCO/Solaris shop. After a few years
    of nagging and promises, last year I installed a Linux box on our heaviest
    use machine, our proxy server :). Its 2.0.35 (RH5.1), running SOCKS5 and
    FWTK (plus ipchains and some other networking stuff)

    3:12pm up 118 days, 23:49, 0 users, load average: 2.00, 2.01, 2.05

    Prevously, our max uptime on this box was around 30 days or so using
    Solaris 2.4.

    Not too shabby!!

    Since then, well, ok, since everyone above me quit their jobs and made me,
    by default, Senior <everything>, we have turned over to Linux except for
    those apps that demand specific OS's (like BRS). I (and the
    management/ownership) have been very pleased. Especially when I /proved/
    to them that a $1000 linux box could outperform/out-uptime a $25,000 Sparc
    running Solaris.

    <itching for 2.2 to become stable for yet another batch of conversions!>

    Keep up the good work folks!

    G'day!
    -- n i c h o l a s j l e o n
    elegance through simplicity*http://mrnick.binary9.net*nicholas@binary9.net
    good fortune through truth*roaming:njllm@email.msn.com*ICQ#2170994*U+($++)
    TRA#6805*not all questions have answers*pseudogeek:P+++($++)L+($++)W=lm@b9

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.037 / U:0.760 seconds]