    SubjectRe: us.kernel.org mirroring inconsistency
    Hi Matti.

    >> I'm getting a bit disturbed by an inconsistency between the
    >> kernel.org mirrors. For example, I have just connected to
    >> katelyn.optilinkcomm.net, which apparently carries only bz2 files
    >> and not gz files.

    > That is foolish, in fact I think the BZ2 at this point is foolish
    > thing to do as the only compression algorithm. In case of
    > ftp.kernel.org archive:

    > gz 2.4 GB
    > bz2 2.1 GB

    > That is, the 'bz2' version of compression is only about 1/8:th
    > denser, than gzip.

    Try 1/7th, or 21% (at least based on your figures)...

    > Way back when the BSD compress got into trouble with LZW patents,
    > the rapid move to GNU-zip was well founded, but now such a thing is
    > not really warranted.

    Obviously you don't have to pay for your time connected to the
    Internet! I do, as do most others in the UK and several other
    countries!!!

    That may only be 1/8th denser, but it's 300 Megs and that equates to
    quite a few lumps of brass...

    Also, try comparing individual tarballs: The latest kernel tarball
    shows as follows:

    gz 12.4 MB
    bz2 10.0 MB

    That makes the gz tarball 24% larger than the bz2 one, and even at 56k
    Baud, downloading an extra 2.4 MB costs money...

    ===8<=== Irrelevant comments cut ===>8===

    > This thinking is basis on why ftp.funet.fi does not mirror BZ2
    > files if the same files are also available as GZ files.

    What's the access rate to ftp.funet.fi from sites that have to pay for
    their connections?

    ===8<=== Further irrelevant comments cut ===>8===

    Best wishes from Riley.

    ---
    * ftp://ps.cus.umist.ac.uk/pub/rhw/Linux
    * http://ps.cus.umist.ac.uk/~rhw/kernel.versions.html

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:4.528 / U:0.000 seconds]