SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Gnumenclature was Re: IBM, was never Re: Linux Kernel
In <Pine.LNX.4.04.9901040006120.27272-100000@reflections.eng.mindspring.net> Todd Graham Lewis (tlewis@mindspring.net) wrote:
TL> On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Khimenko Victor wrote:

>> In <199901030911.BAA21014@bitmover.com> Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com) wrote:
>>
>> > Such as? The only substantial chunk is gcc and that isn't part of the
>> > operating system.
>>
>> Such as Libc. I'm NEVER seen ANY Linux distribution without some form of libc.
>> ALL libc's for Linux are derived from GNU Libc (1 or 2)... For Linux
>> developers libc is somewhat even more important then kernel.
TL> (...)
>> Libc, derived from GNU Libc (be it libc4, libc5 or glibc2) is
>> inevitable in Linux world...

TL> Unless you want to use the Berkeley libc, which is unencumbered and perfectly
TL> suitable for use under Linux.

Of course ! In this case this will be BSD/Linux, not GNU/Linux :-)

>> > Yeah, right. Have you actually tried this for any real application?
>> > Sure, it's true for simple stuff but it is far from true for anything
>> > real.
>>
>> Yes, there ARE differences between glibc-based Hurd and glibc-based Linux
>> (thus GNU/Linux, not just GNU :-), but glibc-based Linux is close to
>> glibc-based Hurd then to libc5-based Linux (from application developer
>> viewpoint that is).

TL> With the slight exception that both Linuxes are useful systems.

Hurd is also useful system. Lack of cool installation program and hardware
drivers do not make system useless ...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.049 / U:0.092 seconds]