    SubjectRe: us.kernel.org mirroring inconsistency
    On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Steve VanDevender wrote:

    stevev> I'm getting a bit disturbed by an inconsistency between the
    stevev> kernel.org mirrors. For example, I have just connected to
    stevev> katelyn.optilinkcomm.net, which apparently carries only bz2 files
    stevev> and not gz files.

    Not to mention that some mirrors also do not delete files that were
    deleted from the master archive at ftp.kernel.org. For instance,
    kernel.wisewire.com has several LATEST-IS-2.2.0-preX files. I'm sticking
    to the closest/fastest mirror I find and using its canonical name
    explicitly to mirror just the latest several releases in bz2 format.

    stevev> It seems to defeat the purpose if kernel.org mirrors don't
    stevev> actually carry the full contents of kernel.org, even accounting
    stevev> for any lag in pulling down new files.

    Presumeably, the LKMS is only meant for end-users downloading a couple
    files, not for re-mirroring part of the archive. I don't think it is
    unreasonable in that case to require the user to get bzip2, considering
    its increasing popularity and benefits; at least it comes with most recent
    distributions. What would be nice is if tar supported bz2 directly so one
    could use "tar xvzf foo.tar.bz2".

    Charles R. Anderson : Senior CS Major @ WPI : http://angus.ind.wpi.edu/~cra/
    "Open Source UNIX is shaped by people who use it. Microsoft shapes NT to
    respond to competitive threats." - Nicholas Petreley, NC World, June 1998

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.022 / U:30.884 seconds]