SubjectRe: Van J compression?
On Sun, Jan 03, 1999 at 05:04:52PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Sometimes hard discs screw up (that is why do backups and RAID if you care
> about your data), sometimes network cable/gateways/systems corrupt packets.
>
> Given the current state of cheap computer hardware and cables it is
> surprising that it only happens with a few ISPs. In short: computer
> networks are unreliable, bit errors are nothing uncommon even for
> end2end networks that have other checksums and you have to accept that
> sometimes a packet gets mangled. That is why TCP has a end2end
> checksum.

I do not think these problems are reasonable with a major ISP like Demon
Internet, for packets originating at the ISP.

As it happens, the packets also appear to be misrouted (I shouldn't
receive them), and the checksum errors are more than single bit errors
(pick a random number).

> All standards say that packets with wrong checksum should be silently
> dropped, 2.2 will do that and turn off that debugging, I repeat,
> debugging message.

Understood. However, please include a /proc option to turn the messages
on. There is a genuine problem around, and it's due to something more
significant than bit errors.

-- Jamie

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.130 / U:0.072 seconds]