    SubjectRe: proper place to discuss kernel 'bloatedness'?
    On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:

    > Michael Loftis writes:
    >
    > Did you read the FAQ which is referenced at the bottom of each and
    > every message from linux-kernel? It discusses the issue and why things
    > won't change.
    >
    > > Perhaps I need to re-iterate the problem...
    > >
    > > I'm not concerned about speed issues nor other issues... Simple the huge
    > > footprint the kernel has. Many people (like myself) run Linux on small
    > > systems where popping open a 40MB tarball would overfill the disks. And
    > > even if you 'clean out' stuff manually you'll probably not have enough
    > > space to compile it and you run the risk of messing up the kernel...
    > [...]
    > > As you can see there's no way Linux could be compiled. This system will be
    > > effectively stuck at 2.0.35 forever.
    >
    > No, you compile your kernel on a decent machine. Or get a bigger
    > disc. Or download a precompiled kernel from one of the popular
    > distributions. People compiling kernels are expected to have plenty of
    > disc space. Think of it as an entry requirement. Don't expect it to
    > change.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard....

    Couldn't the kernel be split up into a server kernel and workstation
    kernel?

    > -

    /Lars
    Student at Department of Computer Science
    University of Copenhagen
    http://www.diku.dk/students/larsj/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.022 / U:0.064 seconds]