    SubjectRe: A router bug?
    AC> If the MTU of the two links is different you should look for outgoing
    AC> frames through the router with no reply when the size of reply would be
    AC> large. Thats a clear indication that the remote site has firewalls set up
    AC> by overpaid underbrained morons from one of the many rich and clueless
    AC> consulting firms who think blocking all icmp on a firewall is a valid
    AC> thing to do.

    If by any chance he is running IP masq on that router, things may become
    different. My experience shows that linux won't send back the ICMP error
    message in this case (eth. MTU 1550, slip MTU smaller, big packet wants
    to go through masq box but it never gets through and no ICMP message is
    generated). But it should since it's the point where the MTU gets
    smaller.

    I tested it in 2.0.33 days, maybe things have changed. But somebody just
    wrote about this in linux-kernel about a week ago ("possible bug in ip
    masquerade" or something similar).

    --
    Meelis Roos (mroos@tartu.cyber.ee)