    SubjectRe: short display with 2.1.132-ac3, matroxfb and XF86_SVGA 3.3.3

    On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

    > The main difference between an accelerated frame buffer device based X server
    > and a `classical' X server is that video mode programming and colormap
    > updates are now handled by the kernel. The X server still has to take care of
    > acceleration engine setup and accelerated operations. If there's a clean
    > separation between these two functionalities (video mode programming vs.
    > acceleration), this is a question of some `if (use_fbdev)' statements.

    Yes, this is the kind of approach I was after. Not a new X server, but
    rather a straightforward extension to existing ones.

    The video mode programming issue is already black magic, and totally
    separate from actually drawing stuff on the screen. I can't for the life
    of me imagine that there would ever be an excuse to make a completely new
    X server just because the mode programming changed.

    That's like separating the S3 X server into ten different X servers
    depending on which clock chip is on the board. That would just be silly
    and stupid, wouldn't it? But it's really almost exactly the same issue:
    the fact that the kernel handles mode switching could just be considered
    "a software clock chip" kind of thing. No?

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:3.040 / U:0.012 seconds]