SubjectRe: 2.2.0 breaks telnet to old SysV R3 machine
> After upgrading to 2.2.0 I can't telnet/[rs]login to an old Motorola box
> (VMEbus, SysV/68 R3) anymore. All other machines I have access to are fine.
> But ping and ftp still work!
> telnet: I do get `login:', but can't type in anything anymore. After
> the timeout it says: Connection closed by foreign host. rlogin: rcmd:
> wasp2.mpae.gwdg.de: Address already in use

A friend of mine had a problem very similar to this: he was running the
network over a ppp connection, UDP was working and TCP not.

The problem was solved (?) by disabling Van Jacobson style TCP/IP
header compression in ppp (add the option novj or maybe novjccomp when
launching pppd). It looked like the remote host was requesting vj
compression, that the local pppd was accepting it and then hanged.

I don't know if it is a bug in the remote host, or in pppd.

Éric Brunet

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.061 / U:0.012 seconds]