SubjectRe: LINUX 2.2 SECURITY: more clues
On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Helge Hafting wrote:

> > Nothing happened. I might be wrong, but perhaps it's a bug with the RH5.x ldd
> > from the glibc package? AFAIR many people who reported the crash were using
> > RH5.x - some of them didn't mention which dist they use, but those who said
> > they're running Slackware or Debian dists didn't have problems. Perpahs that's
> > where one should look?
>
> Maybe it happens only with some ldd's, but the kernel needs fixing anyway.
> A normal user should not be able to crash the OS by running a buggy
> program, as an evil user could then bring his own buggy ldd in
> order to crash machines.
But of course, you're completely right. And I have to correct my own
statement: not only RH5.x ldd's crash the system. At home it crashed my
machine with the same versions of ldd, glibc as the other at work. The only
major difference was that at home I have an AMDK6-2 and no SCSI drivers in the
kernel. Maybe that's also of some importance.

regards,
Marek

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.040 / U:0.676 seconds]