    SubjectRe: [patch] Fixed the race that was oopsing Linux-2.2.0
    On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:

    > The parts of your patch like this are completely bogus! If this fixes

    I don't think so. The only reason we was using atomic_t for mm->count was
    to not having to spin_lock() around mmput/mmget() because we was
    automagically serializeing the changes on mm->count. But now I am forced
    to mm_lock when there's a race risk. Places that was only reading
    mm->count without other locks was just at race risk and they have to known
    what they are doing. An atomic_read() is far from be something of atomic,
    it's just a wrapper to see what is there in the variable without knowing
    it's internal structure. Note there are places were we don't need to
    spin_lock(&mm_lock) because we know we can't race even if we are writing
    over mm->count (e.g. recovering from an error after an mm_alloc(), see

    Tell me if I missed something.

    Andrea Arcangeli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.026 / U:12.760 seconds]