Subject** Fork 1, Draft Final-2 **
> I have just one question about this "Press Release".  If nobody
> posting drafts is really interested in improvements, why post the
> drafts at all?

Ummm... well, we have been making improvements. I had already made fixes for
most of the problems you found, but you have some additional suggestions that
I have incorporated. Here's my latest version (final-2):

**** DRAFT **** PRESS RELEASE - LINUX KERNEL 2.2.0 **** DRAFT ****
**** FORK 1 **** FINAL-2 DRAFT

Linux kernel version 2.2.0 released

FOR RELEASE: Tuesday 26 January 1999

Contact: linux-2.2@linuxunited.org

SANTA CLARA, C.A. -- Today Linus Torvalds, the primary developer and
coordinator of the Linux kernel team, released a major new version of the
Linux kernel. This update brings substantial performance improvements and a
multitude of new features.

Highlights include:

* Advanced network routing and wide area network (WAN) support give Linux the

ability to replace many expensive, proprietary protocol network devices.
Users can take control of their intranets with wide support for a wide
variety of protocols, usage limits, accounting, and virtual private
networks. Strong (256-bit) encryption is available as an add-on component.

* Owing to its tradition of open and international development, Linux is
positioned as an operating system ready for the new millennium. Linux 2.2
is Y2K ready and continues to build on previous versions'
internationalization.

* The network file system support is enterprise-grade, with data replication
for performance, mobility, and reliability.

* New multimedia capabilities include video capture support, TV tuner
support, and enhanced audio support.

* A wide variety of new SCSI and parallel port devices are now supported,
including disk drives, tape drives, and other external devices.

* Linux's already legendary performance is significantly enhanced. High end
symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) support scales well, supporting systems
with up to 64 processors.

* Compatibility with Windows NT and Unix filesystems enables Linux 2.2 to
seamlessly handle data from legacy systems. SAMBA (http://www.samba.org/)
gives a Linux system the ability to provide a complete replacement for NT
Server services, including file and print sharing and domain
authentication.

* Because Linux operates under an open development model, any user has the
ability to modify the operating system components and submit patches to
the official distribution. This both facilitates the development of new
features and enables users to repair problems within hours after they have
been located.

Linux 2.2 is available for free download on the Internet: visit the Linux
Kernel Archive (http://www.kernel.org/) to obtain it from a worldwide
network of mirror servers which has been established in anticipation of
massive demand for this new version. As always, the Linux kernel is
distributed as Free Software under the terms of the GNU General Public
License (http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html).

Linux distribution vendors are expected to ship fully-integrated systems
using the new kernel before Q2 1999. Business users should look to their
distribution vendors for information about this important upgrade.

ABOUT LINUX

"Linux" is the common name for a class of secure network operating system
distributions based on the Linux kernel and software from the Free Software
Foundation's GNU Project. Linux takes full advantage of modern, high-end
PC, Power Mac, Alpha, and UltraSPARC hardware. It can also breathe life
into older machines -- even 386- and 486-based computers. Networks of Linux
computers can provide supercomputer-like performance for some applications;
one widely-known example is the dramatic 3-D scenes in the blockbuster
movie "Titanic", which were rendered on Alpha-powered Linux systems.

Support is widely available both from distribution vendors and third
parties, as well as from numerous Usenet groups and mailing lists. Linux is
provided under an unlimited-use license that lets users make in-house
customizations to the system itself. Recent estimates suggest that Linux
has up to 20 million users worldwide.

Microsoft employees Josh Cohen and Vinod Valloppillil, in a competitive
examination of Linux (The so-called "Halloween Document",
http://www.opensource.org/halloween.html), wrote that "Linux represents a
best-of-breed UNIX, that is trusted on mission critical applications, and -
due to its open source code - has a long term credibility which exceeds
many other competitive operating systems."

ABOUT LINUS TORVALDS

Linus Torvalds, originally from Finland, lives with his family in Santa
Clara, CA, USA. He and others created Linux as an open-source alternative
to proprietary, closed operating systems after becoming disillusioned with
the poor quality and prohibitive pricing of commercial offerings.

Linux is a trademark of Linus Torvalds. Power Mac is a trademark of Apple
Computer, Inc. UltraSPARC is a trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc. Alpha is
a trademark of Compaq Computer Corporation. UNIX is a trademark of The Open
Group. Microsoft is a trademark of Microsoft Corporation. All other
trademarks and registered trademarks are properties of their respective
owners.

FOR MORE INFORMATION

For more information on Linux, its help pages, press, distributions, and
commercial programs, please refer to some of the many Linux Internet
resources. Resources relating to Open Source software and its projects are
also listed.

Linux Web Sites

Linux Online http://www.linux.org/
Linux Resources http://www.linuxresources.com/
Linux International http://www.li.org/
Linux Standard Base http://www.linuxbase.org/
LinuxHQ http://www.linuxhq.com/

Linux Help

Linux Help Online http://www.linuxhelp.org/
Linux HOWTOS http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTOS/

Open Source Software

Open Source Initiative http://www.opensource.org/
Open Projects http://www.openprojects.net/
Free Software Foundation http://www.fsf.org/
The Linux Kernel Archive http://www.kernel.org/

Linux Vendors

Caldera Systems http://www.calderasystems.com/
Conectiva Linux http://www.conectiva.com.br/
Debian GNU/Linux http://www.debian.org/
Linux PowerPC http://www.linuxppc.com/
TurboLinux http://www.pht.com/
Red Hat Software http://www.redhat.com/
ROCK Linux http://www.rock-projects.com/linux-e.html
Slackware Linux http://www.slackware.com/
Stampede GNU/Linux http://www.stampede.org/
S.u.S.E Linux http://www.suse.com/
UltraLinux http://ultra.linux.cz/

Linux in other languages

FAQ of it.comp.linux (Italian) http://www.pluto.linux.it/ildp/FAQ/index.html

Eurolinux http://www.linux.eu.org/

Commercial Sites

Corel http://linux.corel.com
Informix on Linux
http://www.informix.com/informix/solutions/linux
Linux Commercial Software Index http://www.linux.org.uk/Commercial/
Oracle on Linux http://www.oracle.com/linux/

Linux Press

Freshmeat http://www.freshmeat.net/
Linux Gazette http://www.linuxgazette.com/
Linux Journal http://www.linuxjournal.com/
Linux Today http://www.linuxtoday.com/
LinuxNow http://www.linuxnow.com/
Linux Weekly News http://lwn.net/
LinuxWorld http://www.linuxworld.com/
Slashdot http://www.slashdot.org/

Other Open Source Projects

The Apache Project http://www.apache.org/
The Beowulf Project http://www.beowulf.org/
The GNU Project http://www.gnu.org
The GNOME Project http://www.gnome.org/
The K Desktop Environment http://www.kde.org/
The Mozilla Organization http://www.mozilla.org/
Roxen Challenger http://www.roxen.com/
The SAMBA Team http://www.samba.org/
The XFree86 Project http://www.xfree86.org/

---

Let me make it clear that comments and suggestions are definitely
appreciated. The release is going to have to go out pretty soon, so make
your suggestions now.

Kyle

--
Kyle R. Rose "They can try to bind our arms,
Laboratory for Computer Science but they cannot chain our

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:1.966 / U:0.020 seconds]