SubjectRe: test of devfs patch v88 [was Re: devfs patch v84 for
Roderich Schupp writes:

> Heinz Mauelshagen <mauelsha@ez-darmstadt.telekom.de> said:
> > But i had another problem i didn't see before:
> > - i autoload cdrom and sr_mod modules trough kmod/modprobe
> > - modprobe hangs during a "mount -av -t nonfs,nproc" which is called
> > from a multiuser startup script while trying to autoload both
> > modules; this doesn't happen without devfs!?
>
> Yes, I had the same problem, but haven't had time to track it further:
>
> - isofs and SCSI cdrom as modules
> - /etc/fstab has an entry for my cdrom, but it's marked "noauto"
> - system hangs during "mount -av -t nonfs,noproc"
>
> Using the debug options for devfs didn't reveal anything obvious
> (but I can supply you with logs). The breaker seems to be "mount"
> doing a readlink(/dev/sr/c0b0t5u0).

How about hacking your boot scripts to do a readlink on the device
before mount starts and seeing if that also hangs?

> BTW Richard: Your sample modules.conf file should put
>
> alias /dev/fd off
> alias /dev/stdin off
> alias /dev/stdout off
> alias /dev/stderr off
>
> _below_
>
> alias /dev/st* st
> alias /dev/fd* floppy
>
> because modprobe scans the list from bottom to top (!) and
> hence will load the SCSI tape module when devfs asks for "dev/stdin"!
> Actually, one could view this as a bug in modprobe or at least
> unexpected behaviour.

ERK! Gag me with a spoon. OK, I've worked around this misfeature.
Heinz: can you also do this and see if it helps?

Regards,

Richard....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.076 / U:0.036 seconds]