SubjectLinux-2.2.0-final and bootp problems
Hello,

I've had considerable trouble with bootp in the 2.1 series of kernels
and now, the 2.2 series. For some time I believed that my problems
might be caused by an outdated glibc or bootpc executable, but
after looking into the matter more thouroughly, I no longer believe
that to be the case, but instead think that it may be a problem with
the kernel. In short, this is what I've encountered...

Whenever I compile a kernel later that the 2.0.* series, everything
seems to work wonderfully, except for bootp. Upon bootup the
kernel runs through all the system checks/startups as usual, but
when it attempts to configure eth0 with bootp, this is what I get:

SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address
SIOCSIFNETMASK: Cannot assign requested address
Sending bootp request
No bootp response recieved -- not configuring device eth0.

Unfortunately, I know very little of the kernel itself. Nonetheless, I
made some attempts to decipher the meaning of this, and got so
far as finding that these are(correct me if I'm wrong) kernel flags
which are set somewhere and then referenced by the network
device drivers in /usr/src/linux/net/core. Also, they(the "flags")
were mentioned in /usr/include/ioctls.h.

Now for some general information about my system. I currently run
Redhat 5.2 with bootpc version 0.64(0.61 until I upgraded). My
ethernet card is a 100baseT 3Com 3c905 and works perfectly with
the 2.0.36 kernel. I can configure networking just fine under the 2.2
kernels by using a static IP, but unfortunately the network admins
here don't look too kindly upon that, so I need to be able to
autoconfigure my routing tables with bootp.

Any ideas as to what the problem is and how to fix it will be greatly
appreciated, and thanks in advance!

-- Don Giuliano

---
If all the seas were ink,
And all the reeds were pens,
And all the skies were parchment,
And all the men could write,
These would not suffice
To write down all the red tape
Of this Government.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.046 / U:0.144 seconds]