SubjectRe: test of devfs patch v88 [was Re: devfs patch v84 for

Heinz Mauelshagen <mauelsha@ez-darmstadt.telekom.de> said:
> But i had another problem i didn't see before:
> - i autoload cdrom and sr_mod modules trough kmod/modprobe
> - modprobe hangs during a "mount -av -t nonfs,nproc" which is called
> from a multiuser startup script while trying to autoload both
> modules; this doesn't happen without devfs!?

Yes, I had the same problem, but haven't had time to track it further:

- isofs and SCSI cdrom as modules
- /etc/fstab has an entry for my cdrom, but it's marked "noauto"
- system hangs during "mount -av -t nonfs,noproc"

Using the debug options for devfs didn't reveal anything obvious
(but I can supply you with logs). The breaker seems to be "mount"
doing a readlink(/dev/sr/c0b0t5u0).

BTW Richard: Your sample modules.conf file should put

alias /dev/fd off
alias /dev/stdin off
alias /dev/stdout off
alias /dev/stderr off

_below_

alias /dev/st* st
alias /dev/fd* floppy

because modprobe scans the list from bottom to top (!) and
hence will load the SCSI tape module when devfs asks for "dev/stdin"!
Actually, one could view this as a bug in modprobe or at least
unexpected behaviour.

Cheers, Roderich

--
"We are ecologically minded. This package will self-destruct
in Mother Earth." -- label on a Japanese eraser

Roderich Schupp mailto:rsch@ExperTeam.de
ExperTeam GmbH http://www.experteam.de/
Munich, Germany linux:2.2.0-final

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.034 / U:0.168 seconds]