SubjectRe: 2.2.0-"final": aic7xxx still doesn't work with Promise Ultra33 (etc.)
On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Not surprising since Doug Ledford is away, but nothing has changed in
> > recent versions of the aic7xxx driver, and it still has serious
> > problems. Trying to use an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card together with a
>
> No.. The promise IDE card seems to be the one with real problems. The
> "it doesnt work with" list is quite long.
>
> Pull the promise card and test everything else, the rest should work just
> fine. If not then you have other bugs to look into. If its just the promise
> card causing PCI parity errors and PCI master aborts then its a hardware
> problem - one you've been lucky was masked before - perhaps because the
> older AHA driver was using I/O not MMIO

We had a promise card that did some amazing things...We finally gave up
and went with SCSI.

First machine: wouldn't boot with card in at all.
Second machine: would boot but stop at POST only if second IDE chain
attached.
Third machine: worked, but randomly locked up (only with card).
Fourth machine: worked, but ethernet card would only transmit packets
bigger than 200 bytes (???).

Simon-

| Simon Kirby | Systems Administration |
| mailto:sim@netnation.com | NetNation Communications |
| http://www.netnation.com/ | Tech: (604) 684-6892 |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.042 / U:0.628 seconds]