    SubjectRe: userspace access to "u8", "u16", etc. types with filter.h
    >Indeed.  But this brings us to an intersting dilemma.  What is a
    >userspace program to do when it wants to build an LPF and attach it to a
    >socket? It needs the definitions in <linux/filter.h> to build the
    >filter.

    There are three options:

    - clean up the kernel header so it works from user space
    - get the appropriate definitions included in the libc
    - include the definitions somewhere else, either in your application or in
    some new library invented for the purpose.

    In most cases the latter is probably best.

    >Uggh! Does this not sound like a deficiency in the kernel interface to
    >you? I really shouldn't have to do either of these. There should be a
    >"userspace" version of the required data structures shouldn't there?

    It's not really the kernel's job to provide the user space API.

    p.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.021 / U:30.080 seconds]