    SubjectRe: crash in vesafb?
    In lists.linux.kernel you write:

    >I installed 2.2.0pre9 with vesa framebuffer support enabled. If I boot with the
    >ypan/ywrap options, the machine crashes after some time. Actually, most of the
    >time it doesn't actually crash, it switches my monitor off, and the only way I
    >know to bring it back is reboot. A couple of times it actually froze solid. I
    >have an ATI Mach64 card (Xpert98). I haven't tried the Mach64 fb too much,
    >because it doesn't display properly (some pixels disappear etc). I have no
    >trouble if I use the vesa:redraw option instead. This generally happens after
    >some time, and often if I am scrolling screen-by-screen using less (say a man
    >page). Couple of times it also happened while in vi. There were no error
    >messages or OOPS, so can't help there.

    For panning the VESA BIOS callbacks are used. Might be some bug in your BIOS.

    >Jan 22 23:33:35 anjala kernel: fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device
    >Jan 22 23:33:35 anjala kernel: fb1: ATY Mach64 frame buffer device on PCI

    >I have the Mach64 driver still compiled in, though I don't use it.

    But it (seems to) initialize the hardware. Maybe this confuses the BIOS.
    Try "video=atyfb:off" if you don't want to use atyfb.

    We are ftpadm of FB13. Prepare to be mirrored. Resistance is futile.
    -- greeting message

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.020 / U:29.056 seconds]