Subjectk6 freeze in kernel 2.0.36
Hi kernel development

I have a question that I can't see any references to in the online doc
that I have seen so far.

I have installed REDHAT 5.2 on a K6-200, ASUS TX97, 64Mb SDRAM box,
using the shipped kernel
.
On systsem boot I get the message:
"AMD K6 stepping B detected - system stability may be impared when more
than 32 Mb are used."

I have a problem that seems to be time dependent, whether in xwindows or
on the console, inactivity seems to cause a lockup of the system.
The period of inactivity seems to be in the order of 15-20 minutes prior
to the lockup/freeze.

Clearly the warning message I get re: system stability when > 32 Mb
should be regarded suspiciously, but I can't find a reference to this
warning message anywhere.
What does the above warning message indicate regarding memory management
under k6 and can it lead to the lockup/freeze that I see?

I would like to try to configure 32 Mb memory size and retry for the
lockup problem.

Are there any reported kernel problems with this combination of hardware
and the 2.0.36 kernel?

Thanks in advance.

John Penny
Perth, Western Australia

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.149 / U:0.200 seconds]