SubjectRe: omirr
Once upon a time Riley Williams shaped the electrons to say...

> > It went into the kernel at about 2.1.3x and out again at about 5x,
> > where it became obvious that it was causing too many complications
> > and was better left to userspace.
>
> Ah...that makes sense - but did anybody bother writing the relevant
> userland tools?

Something similar to omirr already exists, it has been implemeted in
Irix, and is underway for FreeBSD. The userland tool is called 'webd',
and although the name implies web, it could be used extensively in other
arenas, such as a realtime tripwire. I would dearly love to see the
kernel level stuff ('fmon' under FreeBSD) be ported (in concept at
least) to Linux.. For more information see:

http://science.nas.nasa.gov/Groups/WWW/subpages/topology.html

Or contact me directly.

-D
--