    SubjectRandom number generator for skiplists
    On the thread of Andrea's arca-26 conversation about switching from AVL
    or RedBlack trees or hashes to something "better":

    Here is ( ) a reference to what
    looks like a pretty fast and pretty good random number generator that
    would be useful for skiplists. This is NOT the one we use here, but it
    is almost certainly superior to the one we use here. The Englishman who
    is the king of skiplists here (David Clear) "can't be asked" to switch,
    since our existing algorithm has been working fine for six months
    already, but if you're starting from scratch it might be better to use a
    better random number generator than we use. We have found that we tend
    to skew slightly toward smaller height skiplist nodes, which slightly
    hurts performance.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.020 / U:12.564 seconds]