SubjectRe: That whole Netscape problem...
Ely,

This is almost certainly NOT a Linux problem.

All Netscape versions 4.0x and 4.5 are infamous for randomly becoming
zombies upon exit under Windows NT 4.0, their undead corpses continuing to
consume up to 90% of CPU cycles until killed with Task Manager. The
chances of this happening in any one session are low (<<1%), but with a
dozen or more NT machines with Netscape it's a mathematical certainty I'll
see at least one occurance per week.

This also happens under Solaris 2.5.1. Just two weeks ago I was called in
on a Saturday to kill a zombie Netscape 4.5 process that had brought an
Ultra 10 workstation to its virtual knees. In a month I'll have two dozen
of these workstations running Netscape 4.5 on a three shift 24/7 basis.
I'm not looking forward to getting calls in the middle of the night.

I *AM* looking forward to the GPL (I hope) release of Mozilla 5.0 so we can
finally find and fix whatever is causing this problem.

--Doc Savage
Fairview Heights, IL

At 02:26 1/20/99 -0700, Ely Wilson wrote:
>Netscape 4.x has been 'spontaneously shutting down' since as far as I can
>recall, on
>both Debian and RedHat, under 2.0 and 2.1 kernels. This is nothing kernel
>related,
>maybe indirectly if at all. This is a problem that should be taken up with
>Netscape
>(or whoever it is that manages the browser source code) since this has been
>a long
>standing problem among a great many users of all kernel versions.
>
>Maybe it uses a bad memory management scheme under Linux/Unix and it
>surfaces itself
>under Linux/X Windows. This is a posibility, but I wouldn't stick my neck
>out so
>far (on he lkml) and say it's kernel related, because tehre are MANY X apps
>that
>don't spontaneously close themselves. If it were a less centralized
problem...
>well..

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.077 / U:0.292 seconds]