    SubjectRe: That whole Netscape problem...
    Netscape 4.x has been 'spontaneously shutting down' since as far as I can recall, on
    both Debian and RedHat, under 2.0 and 2.1 kernels. This is nothing kernel related,
    maybe indirectly if at all. This is a problem that should be taken up with Netscape
    (or whoever it is that manages the browser source code) since this has been a long
    standing problem among a great many users of all kernel versions.

    Maybe it uses a bad memory management scheme under Linux/Unix and it surfaces itself
    under Linux/X Windows. This is a posibility, but I wouldn't stick my neck out so
    far (on he lkml) and say it's kernel related, because tehre are MANY X apps that
    don't spontaneously close themselves. If it were a less centralized problem...
    well..

    Mofeed Shahin wrote:

    > G'day all,
    >
    > I would just like to add to this, I have been running netscape on 2.1.1*
    > and have had this problem. I have a modem dial up, so I don't think it has
    > much to do with wether you have cable modem, or slower. I too like to
    > browse with >15 windows open. But recently it seems to crash with less
    > windows open.
    >
    > I tried to go to anyother browser because it had annoyed me so much, but
    > too my suprise there wasn't much out there that got close (correct me if
    > I'm wrong) to netscape.
    >
    > The versions of Netscape which showed this problem seemed to be 4.0? -
    > 4.5. ie every version I have tried. I haven't tried 3.0?, which I may try
    > tonight.
    >
    > I never reported it to the Linux kernel list because it didn't seem to be
    > kernel related. But since some one else posted I may as well put my 2 bobs
    > worth in.
    >
    > [SNIP]
    >
    > > I'm running Netscape 4.5 here on my RH 5.2 machine w/2.2pre7-ac2 and have
    > > found that more and more often with the newer kernels its hanging up. Don't
    > > recall this happening in any of the 2.1.13x kernels that I'd tried, but with
    > > the 2.2pre kernels it's happening about every half hour to an hour now. Not
    > > just when I'm browsing either, it frequently locks up when just picking up my
    > > e-mail or un-iconifying the window. I've found that by opening up more
    > > windows when browsing, I can cause the whole thing to just lock up that much
    > > more quickly than when running just a single browser window. Quite a pain
    > > though, as I usually browse with about 15-20 windows open at once. My
    > > girlfriend on the other hand, uses one window only and has never experienced a
    > > lockup.
    > >
    > > >From what I do recall having seen in the postings as of late, I get the sense
    > > that it has to do with Netscape entering a race condition with the sockets
    > > that are feeding information into it's own threading loop. I'm going to wager
    > > a guess that many people out there simply aren't experiencing the problems as
    > > they're primarily running it on a standard modem as opposed to a
    > > LAN/ISDN/ADSL/cable modem. I've got a cable modem here and I'm wagering that
    > > it's just feeding stuff in fast enough to force the race condition to occur.
    >
    > Cheers Mof.
    >
    > -

    ©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans