SubjectRe: That whole Netscape problem...
Mike Shaver wrote:
>Graham TerMarsch wrote:
>> I'm running Netscape 4.5 here on my RH 5.2 machine w/2.2pre7-ac2 and have
>> found that more and more often with the newer kernels its hanging up. Don't
>> recall this happening in any of the 2.1.13x kernels that I'd tried, but with
>> the 2.2pre kernels it's happening about every half hour to an hour now.

I also get netscape stuck in the loop doing SIGALRM and select. ON
2.0.36!

I suspect this is a problem with netscape, but it might not be.

For me it happens when switching mail folders (on open). Sometimes when
I switch the folder netscape shows a window (non-refreshing) and locks
up. I think that .summary files get corrupt somehow. It locks up again
if I restart netscape and go to the same folder. Deleting .summary files
helps. The problem usually occurs after mail has just been (mail filter)
delivered to the folder (using POP).

Like one of the previous posters I also browse in a lot of windows
(20-40). I also use WWWOFFLE - offline proxy cache.

>I use a 4.51 prerelease and 2.2.0pre7-ac1 right now on ISDN to read lots

Is 4.51 downloadable?

>of mail and lots of web pages, and I don't see this hang.

I have V90, but the problem doesn't seem related to that.

>Are you using the glibc or libc5 Communicator? What version of

communicator=4.5 glibc
glibc = glibc-2.0.7-19

>glibc/libc5 is installed on your system? If glibc, are you using the
>LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libBrokenLocale.so trick?

Yes.

>Do you see the hang if you
>_don't_ use that trick?

I will try running without it for some time...

>What X server do you use?

XFree86-3.3.2-13 -- S3

>I'm trying to narrow it down...

Thanks.