SubjectRe: CD query
Hi Jakub.

>> I've just been answered a curious question that I can't answer, so
>> I'm asking it here...together with a supplemental of my own...

>> 1. Can CD's have partition tables?

> They can. Look at Solaris install CDs.

I don't have access to any, sorry...

>> 2. If so, can Win9x or Linux use them?

> Linux cannot use them, AFAIK.

Apparently, they CAN be used under Linux in SOME circumstances, but
not in many others - Alan Cox described the situation as "we support
them badly". However, I'd love to know more about this...

> It would be a good idea to support them, but it would require
> choosing a different major number and different minor numbering
> strategy for them.

> The problem is that limiting number of CDs to e.g. 16 is not
> possible due to changers where you can have hundreds of CDs
> attached to one machine.

That I can understand...

Can I check whether my understanding of the current situation is
correct:

1. Most (if not all) multi-changers are SCSI? I'm not aware
of any IDE ones.

2. If I put a non-multichanger IDE CD drive on /dev/hdd, would
the normal /dev/hdd1 etc scheme work?

Best wishes from Riley.

---
* ftp://ftp.MemAlpha.cx/pub/rhw/Linux
* http://www.MemAlpha.cx/~rhw/kernel.versions.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.066 / U:0.468 seconds]