    SubjectRe: *** Draft 5 - Press Release ***
    Date
    > >    b) "gives good performance on 12 processor" implies to me as a consumer
    > > poor performance from 13 to 64 :) or maybe even 2-11...
    >
    > Supports != scales well. Different bottlenecks come into play on different
    > sizes. I don't know where the number 12 came from, but your change
    > excludes scalability problems at all. Dishonest. OTOH 'good performance'
    > says nothing, so... <shrug>

    12 was from the original draft5 version, and my change was to remove it.
    Saying it can scale up to 64 processors is key (remember, we need people
    to realize that this is competitor to NT Server, since NT Workstation
    is limited to 2 processors). I'm not familiar enough with the SMP
    support to know if the kernel is what scales worse than the hardware
    at a certain point (12 procs it would seem), but the original phrasing
    seemed to imply that we had up to 12 working and up to 64 kind-of working.

    Any kernel is going to have scaling issues getting up to 64 procs, I
    just want to make sure this press release is as positive as possible.
    Mentioning good performance on 12 processor systems clearly implies, at
    least to me, a minimum of severe scaling problems after that, and worst
    case worse performance on 13+ processor systems than 12. If that is in
    fact the case, I guess it's worth keeping around, but unless scaling the
    kernel itself happens to have a huge knee in the curve around 12 procs
    (totally unrelated to the underlying hardware) then I just didn't see
    the point.

    James Manning
    --
    Hardware Design Engineer --- IBM Netfinity Performance Development