    SubjectRe: bogous binfmt_misc patch in 2.2.0-pre1
    On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > However, I didn't actually apply the makefile or config patches. I've
    > grown tired of the problems with CONFIG_PROC_FS showing up everywhere
    > (it's been implicated in just about 90% of all CONFIG_XXXX problems I've
    > heard of lately), and I want something better.
    > That "something better" would be to just make everybody act as if
    > CONFIG_PROC_FS is always there, but for people who really don't want to
    > have the code you just have the register/unregister/whatever functions be
    > empty inline functions that always return success (or failure, whatever).

    Are there alternatives to the current proc approach? For instance, it
    might be feasable to replace procfs with a usermode filesystem driver that
    talks to the kernel via a single binary interface of some sort.

    I think this would have several advantages:

    - a large amount of complexity removed from the kernel
    - removes formatting policy to user space (this is the big win)
    - fewer kernel races if the binary interface is a single syscall
    - applications that wanted high-speed access would have binary access
    - if you make this a priviledged call, you force the permission policy
    into the userspace tool as well
    - the user app could be runtime configurable

    - current userfs systems may be a little ungainly (but I wouldn't know)
    - requires a consistent interface (perhaps like sysctl?)
    - version skew issues between user tool and kernel
    - some fatal flaw I haven't thought of yet

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.019 / U:3.368 seconds]