SubjectRe: [ Mind testing experimental one-liner? ]
On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Simon Kirby wrote:

> Okay...I'm still seeing the problem on the mail server that I saw before,
> but the example I had with the floppy has been fixed, so it seems like
> there might be something more that we're missing.

Most mail programs do an fsync() on mailboxes at various points in their
execution. Looking at fs/ext2/fsync.c, it uses get_hash_table
extensively, which is probably leading to the needless waiting. Also, it
doesn't look like any readahead is done on the indirect blocks (everything
is syncronous, leading to lots of scattered disk io -- dragging the whole
system's performance down)... If you try replacing ext2_sync_file in
fs/ext2/file.c with file_fsync, is performance reasonable (I expect it
should be)?

Does anyone else think that the #ifndef __LITTLE_ENDIAN in the ext2 code
is *really* ugly? Why not just let the le32_to_cpu be optimized by gcc?

-ben

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.045 / U:0.068 seconds]