       From: (Cezary Sliwa)
    Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:31:30 +0100 (MET)

    Just press ^C to stop this loop:

    while true; do (cat /dev/tty > /dev/null &); done

    (I tried this at the console).

    Umm.... I get "cat: /dev/tty: Input/output error" repeated many times.
    No lock up.....

    BTW: There is a security issue related to rebooting
    without syncing disks: unflushed files will contain
    garbage, and this garbage can be some data the owner
    of the file should not see. Eventually, kernel
    bugs etc. can be (potentially) used to gain access
    to unused portions of the disk. (I know, one should
    use chattr +s, but maybe this is not necessary?)

    You shouldn't be rebooting without doing a clean shutdown.

    Yes, it's possible that a kernel bug which crashes the system might
    potentially cause someone to get access to a deleted file; but then
    again, bugs which can cause an unprivileged user to force the system to
    crash are security issues, and are treated as such.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.018 / U:16.428 seconds]