    Subject[OFFTOPIC] Re: *** next draft - press release ***
    ------Jim Gettys (jg@pa.dec.com) wrote Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:42:24 -0800

    >Ergo, it is premature to claim that Linux has one, in my book. Hopefully
    >in 6 months, it won't be. And there isn't anyone on the planet, with
    >the possible exception of Bob Scheifler, that will be happier than I
    >am when the bulk of Linux/UNIX shipments finally have a competant GUI
    >shipping.
    >- Jim Gettys

    IMHO it is not only important to have a competent GUI desktop for linux
    to make it more popular for home PC users. What I think is missing for the
    not-so-experienced PC user is an easy to configure installation tool for
    the kernel configuration. The make menuconfig is not sufficient
    as it still requires a lot of knowledge about hardware chips and card
    definitions, IRQs and such which isn't common knowledge to a new PC user.

    I don't know if that's an issue or of anybody else concern in this
    disussion, just would like to know if it's addressed anywhere in general.
    Some distributors try to address the idea but the solution is
    proprietary to the distributor.

    Thanks,
    Eva

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:4.080 / U:0.000 seconds]