    SubjectRe: MM deadlock [was: Re: arca-vm-8...]
    > > For the case of binaries the aging on the page cache should take care of
    > > it (even if there's no aging on the swap cache as pre[567] if I remeber
    > > well).
    >
    > There is no aging on the page cache at all other than the PG_referenced
    > bit.

    I know that most of you do not like aging. Nevertheless, on high stressed
    systems with less than 128M you will see a critical point whereas the page
    cache and readahead does not avoid that swapin I/O time needed by a program
    increases to similar size of the average program time slice.

    At this point the system performance breaks down dramatically even
    with 2.2.0pre[567] ...

    What's about a simple aging of program page cluster or better of the
    page cache? Increasing the age could be done if and only if the pages
    or page clusters swapped in and the program wasn't able to use its
    time slice. Decreasing the age could be placed in shrink_mmap().

    Werner

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:4.192 / U:0.332 seconds]