SubjectRe: Building .config into the kernel
And lo, Barrett G. Lyon saith unto me:

> At 11:07 PM 1/14/99 +0100, you wrote:
> >"A month of sundays ago Barrett G. Lyon wrote:"
> >>
> >> Can't you do something like:
> >> cat vmlinux | grep "version" | head -1 ; uname -a
> >>
> >> and match the build numbers? Just use gzcat on machines that use a
> >
> >Nope. You may well have the image but not the config. I've got kernels
> >stretching all the way back to 1.2.13 2.0.0 2.0.25 2.0.30 2.0.33 2.0.36.
> >Are you seriously suggesting that i have all their kernel trees, and all
> >the configs for each of them, for all the variant images I sprayed
> >around the place? Uh uh.
>
> _NO_ I am not suggesting that you keep the trees for all those old kernels.
> I am mearly suggesting that if you do have the kernel image stored on
> mounted fs, you do have the ability to figure out what kernel you are
> booted to.
>
> That just goes to show that
>
> cat .config.in >> zImage
>
> can yeild your dotconfig even if you don't remember what kernel you booted.
> There are exceptions, but if you can't keep track of your kernel thats
> pretty bad.

Why stop there? When you're not using an initrd, there's gobs of room
on a floppy for a bzImage, config.in (possibly compressed as well), *AND*
System.map. A few more targets in the Makefiles, a little disassembling
job on ksymoops's part, and perhaps a utility to split the "plus-sized"
bzImage back into its three components...

Keith

--
"Well, look at that. The sun's | Linux: http://www.linuxhq.com |"Zooty,
coming up." -- John Sheridan, | KDE: http://www.kde.org | zoot