    Subject*** next draft - press release ***
    I got lots of constructive criticisms, and here's a brief
    summary of what people said.

    1. you don't normally write stuff like this do you? - no kidding
    2. We like Alberts version better - so do I, so
    that's what we'll use.
    3. USB didn't make it into the kernel - ok.
    4. We don't like the term GNU/Linux - I don't really
    understand the politics, but

    everybody had this response.

    Ok, here's Albert's version (which I just commandeered). Let's see if
    we can make any improvements etc.

    btw. I'm getting a little concerned about clogging this mailing list. -

    Greg Smart

    **** DRAFT **** PRESS RELEASE - LINUX KERNEL 2.2.0 **** DRAFT ****

    ----------- now I make a fool of myself :-) ---------- - no you
    didn't :-)

    Santa Clara CA, January XX, 1999

    Today the software developers led by Linus Torvalds release a major update
    to the Linux operating system. This update brings increased scalability,
    new hardware support, and a large collection of low-level features.
    Highlights include:

    * Advanced network routing and WAN support, which gives Linux the
    ability to replace many expensive proprietary network devices.
    Users can take control of their intranet with priority traffic,
    usage limits, accounting, and virtual private networks. Strong
    128-bit encryption is available as an add-on component.

    * Enterprise-level network filesystem support, complete with data
    replication for performance, mobility, and extreme reliability.

    * Video capture support, TV tuner support, simplified audio support,
    and other multimedia enhancements.

    * Support for a large variety of parallel port devices including
    disk drives, tape drives, and other easy-to-use external devices.

    * Greater performance, especially while under heavy load or while
    running on computers with multiple processors.

    * Compatibility support for reading BSD and NT disks. Easy access to
    documents stored on NTFS-format disks will facilitate conversion
    from NT to Linux.

    Advanced technical users are already using this update, downloaded
    from the Internet. Business users can get a fully supported copy later
    this spring when Linux vendors ship complete integrated systems
    containing the update on easy-to-use CD-ROM distributions.

    Linux is a secure network operating system for demanding users.
    It interoperates well with a wide variety of other systems.
    Linux can take advantage of modern PC and PowerMac hardware or give
    new life to older 486-based computers. Support is widely available
    via both traditional contracts and cost-effective Internet groups.
    Linux is provided under an unlimited-use license that lets users
    make in-house customizations to the system itself. Initial estimates
    suggest that Linux had 10 to 20 million users at the end of 1998.

    Linus Torvalds, native to Finland, lives with his family in Santa
    Clara CA, USA. He and others created Linux as a labor of love,
    which may account for the superior software quality.

    For more information, see www.Linux.ORG and

    Linux is a trademark of Linus Torvalds. PowerMac is a trademark of
    Apple Computer, Inc. NT is a trademark of Northern Telecom Limited.

    **** DRAFT **** PRESS RELEASE - LINUX KERNEL 2.2.0 **** DRAFT ****

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.023 / U:118.452 seconds]