SubjectRe: 2.2.0-pre6: Problem with module versions since...
Hi Martijn,

mec> As soon as someone fixes this, two years of accumulated untested
mec> CONFIG_MODVERSIONS funkiness will spring out.

martijn> Just out of curiousity, what could go wrong?

I don't know. CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is a delicate kludge and its environment
has been mutating around it for two years. There are code paths in the
kernel and insmod that haven't been exercised for that time. Anything could
happen when you throw the switch again.

It might actually be better to ship 2.2 with a broken CONFIG_MODVERSIONS
at this point and delay fixing it until someone can fix several other
problems with it.

mec> The right fix is probably to change MODVERSIONS above to
mec> CONFIG_MODVERSIONS.

martijn> What's the problem with this? Would it actually work?

Try it, and then tell me. Someone has to step up and take charge of
the CONFIG_MODVERSIONS mess. I've already got an xconfig mess on my
shoulders.

Michael Elizabeth Chastain
<mailto:mec@shout.net>
"love without fear"

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.023 / U:1.236 seconds]