SubjectRe: 2.2.0-pre6 VM slow?
Dax Kelson wrote:

> > I have AMD K62 350, 96 MB RAM and 6.4 HDD WD and I have the same
> > problems. 2.2.0-pre1-3 were fine but pre4-6 is much worse. Kernel
> > swaps 30 MB when is cached and buffered about 70 MB. Why???
> >
> > Hawkey
>
> Try pre7, ftp://ftp.us.kernel.org/linux/kernel/testing/pre-7.gz
>
> and post your results

Well, after this initial crash around startup, everything's been
hunky-dory. In addition to NetBeans and Netscape, I've also opened the
GIMP. My system hasn't been up as long, but I'm only using about 50 MB
swap (I expected to be using a little more with the GIMP loaded) and
switching workspaces is several orders of magnitude faster. The mouse
jitters for a second or two at most while in X (1280x1024) but there is
one minor problem with this patch. It seems that there was some sort of
scheduling change because X11amp now skips from time to time. This
could be because I've gotten SMBfs working though, and it's having
trouble reading from that, but this is a change I've noticed.
Otherwise, an excellent patch. Someone may want to look at some of the
timing issues as I did crash once just after loading wdm upon startup,
though haven't tried to repeat it (and deleted wdm).

regards,
Christopher

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.044 / U:0.252 seconds]