    SubjectRe: PATCH killing dead code and design errors in pre6
    Andi Kleen wrote:
    > You might not have noticed it, but most skbs are allocated, not cloned.
    > It is especially important for the fast routing path, which is totally
    > memory bound (when several 100Mbit/s busmastering ethernet cards are active
    > the CPU cache isn't of much use anymore because it is invalidated so often).
    > The improvements on forwarding performance was the main reason why the slab
    > skb patch was added.

    Then why not just maintain a free list inside skbuff.c? Very same like
    all the other parts of the kernel are doing.

    > Also: in the middle of 2.1 there was a nice fork time optimization (it got
    > unfortunately thrown out again by the half-finished changes for bigger NR_OPEN
    > support, but I plan to resubmit them for 2.3). With clever use of the constructor

    Then please reintroduce the fluffy featurefull slab.c in 2.3. The stuff
    I had
    removed will certianly be not used in 2.2.

    > it is possible to avoid the copying of the files array on forking for most cases.

    Same again... use a free list.

    --Marcin

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:2.704 / U:0.016 seconds]