SubjectSound: Logitech Soundman Wave questions.
Date
Hi,

I'm presuming my confusion comes from old doc included with newer config and
source. Kernel 2.2.0-pre6. Please correct me if I've misunderstood how
things stand.

If I compile within the kernel rather than as a module, I'm prompted for
mpu_irq (CONFIG_SB_MPU_IRQ is defined). There doesn't seem to be any way to
send this value to the module version (sb_card.c has no corresponding
MODULE_PARM). This affects Jazz 16 and ES1688 as well as SMW.

Readme.cards implies I will be asked if I have a SMW and then prompted for
midi0001.bin location. This does not occur in current kernel make
menuconfig.

If such had occurred SMW_MIDI0001_INCLUDED would be defined and sb_common.c
would try to include a non-existant smw-midi0001.h file (should this file be
resurrected, or should the logic be changed?).

But since this shouldn't currently occur (unless old .config file present)
bin file will be loaded from default /etc/sound/midi0001.bin if I compile as
a module but otherwise won't be loaded at all. midi0001.bin is only
required for OPL4 support on this card which lacking RAM may be best
dropped.

Thanks,

Lourdes

Readme.cards
The Logitech SoundMan Wave (don't confuse this with the SM16 or SM Games) is
a MV Jazz based card which has an additional OPL4 based wave table
synthesizer. The OPL4 chip is handled by an on board microcontroller
which must be initialized during boot. The config program asks if
you have a SM Wave immediately after asking the second DMA channel of
jazz16.
If you answer 'y', the config program will ask name of the file containing
code to be loaded to the microcontroller. The file is usually called
MIDI0001.BIN and it's located in the DOS/Windows driver directory. The file
may also be called as TSUNAMI.BIN or something else (older cards?).
-----

sb_common.c
/*
* Logitech Soundman Wave specific initialization code
*/

#ifdef SMW_MIDI0001_INCLUDED
#include "smw-midi0001.h"
#else
static unsigned char *smw_ucode = NULL;
static int smw_ucodeLen = 0;

#endif>
#ifdef MODULE
if (!smw_ucode)
{
extern void *smw_free;

smw_ucodeLen = mod_firmware_load("/etc/sound/midi0001.bin", (void *)
&smw_ucode);
smw_free = smw_ucode;
}
#endif

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.080 / U:0.276 seconds]