SubjectRe: Update: 2.0 kernels, tulip driver, crashes and reboots
At 11:30 PM 1/12/99 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
>> Anybody care to suggest patch areas between 2.0.31 and 2.0.36 to look for
>> this sort of problem?
>
>Oh jeez - there are a -lot- of places to look including stuff like IDE
>disk and also interrupt handling
>
>Are in a position to try 2.0.33 or .34 ?

Sure, no problem. I should have some preliminary results tommorrow.

Spoke with some of the Epox "support engineers". They're going to review
every bios setting we use (along with the memory we're using and such).
He's convinced we're getting an NMI and assumed this will cause a reboot.

I've read traps.c, it looks like the kernel does some printks and goes on
happily. In case we are getting the NMI just before we reboot, I added an
unblank the screen call and while (1) ; right after the printks and put
this on a system with a video card, we'll see if it shows up.

BTW, some additional, not all that relative data points: our digital
o-scope runs Win98 with this same VPX platform (except in a vanilla
Micro-ATX chassis), it's been running for 2+ weeks (just running the
o-scope application); we have one guy's desktop PC here running 2.0.31 and
a FIC VPX-based motherboard (one that we had sampled) that has an uptime of
127 days (he moved his desk about 4 months ago).

I'll give an update tommorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Al Youngwerth
alberty@apexxtech.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.063 / U:0.396 seconds]