SubjectRe: Time??
Hi Alan.

>>> echo "<$TZ>" yielded <>, and the latter still didn't fix it =(
>>> this is also on a redhat box as well as the Debian one..
>>> something is broken some where.

>> OK, the other reasonably obvious possibility is to turn that on
>> its head - is TZ set for the sendmail daemon that's started
>> automagically in your boot scripts ???

> I haven't been following all of this thread, but... it looks like
> you're not aware that ps has an option to show environment
> variables of a running process. ps ewwwwwwwwwp`pidof sendmail`
> would be a much easier way to find what you're looking for. Or
> even </proc/`pidof sendmail`/environ tr '\0' '\n'|fgrep TZ

I have to admit that I wasnae aware of that option - by the looks of
it, actually a large collection of options...

> Whenever I've seen a single process not finding the correct
> timezone while all others do, it's been a case of libc version
> skew. libc5 looks for /usr/lib/zoneinfo/localtime for the default
> timezone, and libc6 looks for /etc/localtime. If you don't have a
> pure system (only one libc and no static linking), one of these
> should be a symlink to the other.

I've just checked my RedHat 5.2 based system, which I understand to be
glibc based, and get the following:

Q> /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/GB
Q> /usr/lib/zoneinfo does not exist
Q> /usr/share/zoneinfo/localtime -> /etc/localtime

Does that help?

Best wishes from Riley.

---
* ftp://ps.cus.umist.ac.uk/pub/rhw/Linux
* http://ps.cus.umist.ac.uk/~rhw/kernel.versions.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.067 / U:0.756 seconds]