SubjectRe: Cheap network for two hosts ?
Date

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike A. Harris <mharris@ican.net>
To: Anthony Barbachan <barbacha@hinako.ambusiness.com>
Cc: Gregory Maxwell <linker@z.ml.org>; H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com>;
linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sunday, January 10, 1999 3:41 AM
Subject: Re: Cheap network for two hosts ?

>On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Anthony Barbachan wrote:
>
>>>scales well. (two 10 + hub/cards/cables = many 10. Two 100 + h/c/c = many
>>>10 or with a slightly more expensive hub = many 100.)..
>>>

>>Irrelevent for a cheap 2 computer network. Also 100 baseT hubs are not
>>"slightly more expensive", they are alot more expensive. Something like
$30
>>to $200 (show prices) when looking at the cheapest comfigurations and "El
>>Cheapo" manufacturers (A la PC Chips; maker of the fake cache chipped
>>motherboards).
>
>I have a PC-Chips motherboard. What is this about fake cache?

I do not know if they are still doing this, but back in the days of the
486DX4-133 and Pentium 75 a good number of PC-Chip motherboards were being
sold with fake cache chips on board. Others, one of which I have, had
useless cache-on-a-stick slots; they didn't soder connections to the slot
(if you sodered it yourself you could get it to work), so if you plugged in
your cache-on-a-stick it wasn't actually plugged in. The fake cache chip
motherboards were sold that way because it was cheaper to paste them on the
motherboard than changing over the entire assembly line, or at least thats
what PC-Chips stated. They also claimed it looked better and that their
customers perfered it that way. Sure they did, el-cheapo resellers sold
them as cached motherboards at a higher price. I wonder how PC-Chips
explained the lying BIOS which sometimes also stated you had external cache.

>Is it possible my machine doesn't have real cache? How do I

Its possible.

>tell? It supposedly has 1Mb of cache. When I disable external

>cache in my CMOS it slows down from around 1200 in Norton SI to
>around 20 in SI. That makes it look like there certainly is
>cache. I'm interested in whatever you can tell me though.

Your test seams to prove that you do have cache, although if you actually
have 1 MB I cannot say. Maybe there are some CPU instructions that you can
use but I do not know them. Any BIOS inquaries could be faked. You may
also check out the chips themselves and look them up to see if they are the
right size.

>--
>Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate
>
>Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:2.520 / U:0.108 seconds]