    SubjectRe: Porting vfork()
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:
    > > >
    > > > No need to. If you use sleep_on(), the parent won't be getting any signals
    > > > anyway (only sleep_on_interruptible() cares about signals).
    > >
    > > Of course, but is that a good thing? The parent will be unkillable until
    > > the child does something.
    >
    > Yes. That's basically how vfork() works.
    >
    > You could make it a special kind of killable - where you can _only_ kill
    > it (ie only fatal signals will be serviced), and that would work. I
    > wouldn't do that until people actually start to complain. It's not a
    > security issue, as the parent _can_ be killed - you just have to kill the
    > child first.
    >
    > Linus
    >
    > -

    You mean you just have to kill _all_ the children, and their
    children _in order_. This seems like a big security hazard to
    me.... Vfork bombs could become quite difficult to stop.... e.g.

    while(vfork());

    you'd have to start killing at the high end (pid-wise), but the
    processes are _created_ at the high end, so you would fail.

    --
    This message has been brought to you by the letter alpha and the
    number pi.

    David Feuer
    dfeuer@his.com
    dfeuer@binx.mbhs.edu
    Open Source: Think locally; act globally.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.043 / U:0.660 seconds]