SubjectRe: 2.2.0-pre4, nfs, old dentry foo/bar busy, d_count=2
Date
In article <m0zyQBM-0007U3C@the-village.bc.nu>,
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> with NFS problems on both client systems (each one served by a
>> different server). Here is a sample error:
>>
>> nfs_rename: old dentry partial/plugger_2.2-1.deb busy, d_count=3
>
>There's a bug in the NFS client still. It won't rename open files. That
>unfortunately breaks at least sendmail on a diskless box

That's actually more of a paranoid test rather than anything else. There
is no major reason why we couldn't just rename open files too in the NFS
client, it's just that especially if you move them to another directory
there are some issues with some servers that make for trouble (the Linux
unfsd is one example of this, I'm afraid).

In particular, I think the Linux unfsd can sometimes change the
filehandle if the file is moved to another directory due to the way it
is all done, and that would screw anybody holding a file open across the
move.

Alan, if you want to play around with this I suspect that you can just
remove the test, and as far as I can remember the Linux _client_ will
actually correctly handle this case without any real problems.

There might be something I forget, the above is what my rather limited
memory tells me was the issue.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.047 / U:0.604 seconds]